It’s 2019 and I am sure that most of the population on this earth has New Year’s Resolutions that they want to tackle this year. So often, I see people who are highly motivated to change and work hard towards their goals. As the days, weeks, and months past, they seem to lose momentum, drive, and focus due to lack of motivation and/or unforeseen life events that may have gotten them sidetracked. Here are some ways to get back on track and some realities to think about in order to complete your goals for 2019.
1. Set realistic expectations for yourself. The best way to do this is to do your research.
2. Set Smart Goals by breaking up your goals step by step. It can be overwhelming if you try to do everything at one time.
3. Grab a calendar that has a note section and chart for each day in order to write down detailed notes and objectives that will help you reach your goal.
4. Celebrate small milestones, if you feel yourself missing a deadline for your objective reset it again. For example, your goals may have go to the gym 3 days a week but you only went twice. That’s okay, keep going.
5. Last my not least my recommendation would be to have an accountability partner. I must say that seeing a therapist is a great way to have accountability and someone who will support you 110%.
As a therapist and life coach, I have assisted many clients’ with setting goals. One example could be; I want to do more public speaking. They may be fearful of public speaking, so we explore any negative thought processes that is blocking and once that is completed as a coach I help position themselves to be more prepared for public speaking i.e. exposure therapy, body language awareness, niche (topic), power point tips etc. Don’t wait to initiate working on your goals. The only thing in your way is yourself.